TRANSLATE IN LANGUAGE YOU KNOW

Pointed Gourd / Parval


Parval OR Pointed Gourd is a simple sabji we make at home often with our lunch platter accompanied by roti, dal, kadhi, rice. It is made in various ways and even stuffed version tastes equally delicious. I often make it like this. 

Parval is a vine similar to cucumber and squash but the shape is tiny. You can find them in Asian and Indian stores. 


We grew up eating this vegetable often. Definitely it is the way my Mom cooks it, simple, homely and yummm... I recall snacking on it raw doing homework besides my Mom when she was chopping it and so does my lil' one. I eat all kinds of vegetables cooked in my home. We all love veggies, after marriage too I can say I am blessed as my husband and lil' one both eat almost all vegetables that I cook. They are fond of all vegetables which makes life easy and no fuss as I have not to cook different for each one. 

TIPS for buying PARVAL
While choosing you have to look for fresh green colored firmer parval, as the seeds inside it are tender, chopped and eaten easily. Sometimes if overripe, they have loose skin and yellowish from within with more developed seeds. Sometimes parval may appear firmer from outside but have semi developed seeds too, you can discard the seeds and use the outer skin or make stuffed parval OR discard if it is too much overripe or old. 


INGREDIENTS 
Parval - 1 pound
mustard seeds - 1 tsp
cumin seeds - 1 tsp
asafoetida - a pinch
turmeric powder - 1 tsp
red chilli powder - 1 tsp
coriander cumin powder - 1 tsp
Pinch of sugar ( optional )

PROCEDURE 
Step 1 : Thinly dice or cut the Parval lengthwise or thin rounds, whichever way you like.


Step 2 : Heat a non stick wok, add oil and all the tempering ingredients : mustard seeds, cumin seeds let them crackle, asafoetida and turmeric followed with the cut parval and mix well then add salt.



Step 3 : Cover and cook over a medium low flame until the Parval whilts and gets some color. 

Note : Traditionally we add a pinch of sugar at this stage to caramalise and let the parval stick to the pan to get some burnt marks, but I skip this stage.  

Step 4 : Add all remaining dry spices and mix well. 



















STORING AND FREEZING 
Do to our busy schedules we normally grocery shop twice or once a week and sometimes fresh. So prepping and managing a list as to what to get and what to cook is a must to maximise the cooking efforts and economy too. 


After chopping the parval I often store them in freezer safe Ziploc bags, if I buy in bulk at a good price for later use. Simply remove all the air squeezing the ziploc bag inwards, zip it and freeze it. It stays good and fresh as long as it is stored properly.

FINAL PLATING
We usually have Parval saabji with our lunch platter. 

Our lunch platter of Ghee roti, Gujarati dal, Parval, kale nuts salad, and Fresh turmeric pickle and rice not in the picture.


You may also like : 


No comments:

CONTACT PAGE

Name

Email *

Message *